Who we are
Lingumi is a fast-growing EdTech startup with a mission to make English learning fun, affordable and effective for the next billion young learners. We have offices in London and Cardiff but our (amazing) customers are from all over the world - and we're backed by some of the UK's best investors. We're a team of nine, with an open work culture that permits flexible working time, remote-friendly work, and team members with young families!
We have a strong set of values that not only focus on achieving our mission, but that also make sure everyone at Lingumi is fully supported, trusted and respected. We value independence, creativity, and honesty in our culture and work.
Our current flagship product is a mobile app for 2-6 year-olds to make their first steps into English. We provide a fun digital curriculum that covers everything from introducing nouns to building basic sentences. We also produce non-digital products to complement our digital curriculum such as books, flashcards and paper-based activities.
We take efficacy seriously but we also believe learning is fun too! We dedicate ourselves to making our young learners happy, proud and fulfilled.
What you could be working on
At Lingumi, we have big ambitions for the future and we're looking for someone to help make those ambitions come true. As a small team, every member is given a large amount of responsibility and plenty of opportunities to learn new skills and develop existing ones. We're a customer-driven company, so we're not shy about making big decisions if we believe it will improve the experience for our users.
We work in short-iteration cycles, so you will have an active voice in shaping what we work on. But some of the current and future projects include:
- bringing amazing English-teaching mini-games to life via the Unity Engine
- writing modular, front-end application code in C#
- Using data and customer feedback to plan and iterate on the onboarding experience for both our parents and children, to get them loving Lingumi as quickly as possible
- digging deep into customer behaviour and insights to make sure we work on what’s most important to our customers
- building a deep personalised learning engine so each child can learn in a style that best suits them
- building efficient and high performing systems to provide a perfect experience to every user
- scaling our backend services globally in order to bring affordable English education to everyone all over the world
What we're looking for
We're looking for a full-stack software engineer to join us at Lingumi. You will be the fourth engineer to join our small and agile team, and will have a wide-range of responsibilities depending on your experience and interests. As a team, we manage the iOS and Android apps (developed with Unity), the backend (hosted on AWS using the Serverless Framework) and a React website.
We work both closely together with other members of the team and on our own - whatever is necessary for the task to be completed. Someone who is comfortable communicating with and exchanging ideas with anyone from business, design, support and engineering will thrive in our culture.
We're looking for a teammate who is as invested in making the team better as much as the product - and is excited about empowering the next billion children to begin learning English.
- Communicate in English - we use English as the shared language to communicate and discuss ideas but it doesn’t need to be your first language.
- Based in one of our offices, in London and Cardiff, or remote if GMT+. (Unfortunately GMT- is tricky for us!)
- Experience in working in a team of engineers - whether that's at a company, as a side-project or at university. We’re hoping for familiarity with version control, code reviews and iteration-based workflows (e.g. scrum)
- Comfortable with product-driven decisions, and ready to empathise with and prioritise on behalf of the customer
- Be able to work alongside engineers and non-engineers (marketing, design, business)
- Be able to work autonomously - including planning, handling your own deadlines and making big, bold decisions - we trust each other and we’ll trust you too!
- Speaking or learning any other languages: we speak several in the team, and our customers speak many more!
- Experience scaling backend systems, especially for mobile applications on AWS, including architecture and implementation
- Interest in good software engineering practices (e.g. writing SOLID code)
- Experience with Unity and/or developing for iOS and Android
- Interest in (pre-school) education and language-learning
- As a part of the Lingumi team you will be given all the resources you need to perform your role, continue to learn new skills and be inspired, including the software and hardware you need to do your job well, access to online and offline learning opportunities, and the opportunity to travel for work if you so wish.
- We want people to find their own rhythm of working that means they are the most productive, so we won’t demand that you to be at your desk 9-5 every day, if that doesn’t work for you. We are strong believers in asynchronous team communication to reduce distraction.
- We don’t believe that titles make you entitled, all members of the team have an equal voice. Everyone has ownership and autonomy over their work. We share and support each other, so that no one is left struggling with a task on their own.
We are at an exciting stage in our company's life-time - and hopefully you will get to be part of, experience and help Lingumi grow from thousands of families to millions.
We are making a positive impact on children’s lives and futures: come and be part of our journey.